Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Spring Festival


The year of the OX. When the clock struck midnight on New Year's Eve, I thought I would see dancing paper dragons and fireworks, people in traditional costume and lots of red lanterns.

Instead, I saw my drunken friends in sombreros downing margaritas. Still fun, but not the vision I had in my head of Chinese new year celebrations.

Turns out I was about 3 weeks off. The Chinese Lunar New Year actually takes place January 26th. They call the week-long celebration the Spring Festival. I am not sure why as it is cold. No snow in Beijing but a bitter wind and low temps.


The Spring Festival is the equivalent of our Christmas,
except without the whole Jesus part. Everyone has a week off and visits their family. Some people I've talked to, haven't been home in a year so this is a big deal for them.


Millions and millions of people will wait in line for hours to get scarce train and bus tickets. Some will travel for days. It doesn't matter, the important part is being reunited with those you love.

Just like our holiday, people buy presents to give one another. That's what these pictures are. Red symbolizes good luck and fortune.

You find red flowers, lanterns, stuffed animals, paper cut-outs, jewelry and even food. The stuff on sticks is fruit covered in hardened sugar. Very tasty.










A coworker also told me that he is expected to give each of his family members money during the Festival. He present about 1,000 yuan to his mother and father. He also is expected to pay his grandparents and cousins if he has any.

It can be an expensive affair, but because he is the working male in the family, he assumes financial responsibility for everyone. Talk about pressure.

He isn't worried about it, that's just the way things are, he says.

Speaking of finances, 2009 is the year of the OX. You see the animal everywhere. There are decorations on doorways, stuffed animals being carried around and even ice sculptures.

The Chinese say this year will be a year of "bull markets," meaning good finances. At least they are optimistic about it.

If you are born in the year of the ox you are very reliable, sincere and have modest ambition. You are also willing to tackle the workload when it becomes overbearing for others and are loyal and compassionate with family and friends.
(No, I did not get this off a Chinese place mat.)

I am sure this won't surprise any of you, but I was born in the year of the monkey. That means I am: Imaginative, responsible, humorous, witty, curious, clever and sneaky.

You can find out your own characteristics by going to this website: http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes

According to several sources, there will be dancing paper dragons and costumes during the Spring Festival. Unfortunately, I won't be in China to experience. I will spend my week off on the beach in Bali. Pity.

While I am actually sad to miss this, I have already gotten to see and hear some of the celebration. The time is notorious for fireworks.

Chinese fireworks aren't like sparklers. There aren't safety warnings and restrictions like in the U.S.. These things are actually explosives.

People love them. They scare the shit out of me. With all the tall buildings around me, fireworks make it sound like Beijing is being bombed. My windows shake.

Fellow expats say they have to sleep with earplugs in for an entire week. I can't wait to tease them about it when I get back from the nice, quiet beach where all I will hear is the sound of the waves lulling me to sleep. HA suckers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home