Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Thanksgiving options

The jury is still out on whether or not I will actually get to eat turkey for Thanksgiving. It's not something sold in grocery stores over here. Don't ask me why.

Like most things in China, I can't explain it.

There are a few Western restaurants doing dinners complete with all the fixings.

Owners had to have turkeys shipped in from the US. How they found the other ingredients to make goodies like stuffing, is beyond me.


Either way, I am grateful or should I say thankful?

If I can't get off work Thursday night to join in one of these organized expat dinners, I do have other options...

For example, I did try duck throat. As you can see in the above picture, it wasn't pleasant or shall we say, tender. Stringy is how I would describe it, yeah, like meat string cheese.

And yes, that guy is holding a piece of meat on my head. I will explain that in a second.

To the left here, this lovely little lady is getting her fill of intestines on a stick. Street stalls sell all sorts of "meats" like this. The Chinese love snack time and often go for kebob treats like this one.

Ok, back to the meat head- HA! I kill myself. This guy is munching on a duck head- the entire thing.

You can quite clearly see the bill and eye holes. Sorry to gross you out, but if I have to see this stuff then so do you.

He had a bag full of heads to snack on while we were playing cards. I was thinking more along the lines of popcorn.

This, I did not try and will not try- even if I don't get any turkey.


Of course the safest option out there for me is probably the Italian Red Meat Flavored potato chips. Bon apetit.

You know what though, this Thanksgiving, no matter what I end up eating, I will give thanks for being allowed this wonderful international opportunity.

I really have loved it so far.

I will also give thanks for all the people, family and friends, helping me to do this. Without them, I wouldn't be picking duck throat out of my teeth...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home