Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Crisco cleaner

Having finally settled in to my new apartment, I hired a woman to come clean it. Yes, I could have done this myself, but when it costs $3 U.S. for two hours of work, why not pay for it?

Lazy? Yes. Economical? Yes? Worthwhile? Probably not.

You see, Ayi's (pronounced eye-eee) here in China are not used to using various chemicals when they clean. A bucket of water and a rag does the trick for everything from wood toglass to your toilet.

Being a bit of a germ-a-phobe, I specifically went to an export only grocery store to buy cleaning supplies like Pledge and Windex. I actually had my mother ship me over a bottle of Comet.

The first time the Ayi cleaned, I had a translator help me show her what the various chemicals were used for. The place was sparkling.

Today, it was just her and me. I figured this wouldn't be too much of a problem. I figured wrong.

From the other room I hear an aerosol spray can being used in the kitchen. Hmmm, I think to myself., "my cleaning supplies aren't aerosol, so what is that noise coming from.?"
I go in to the kitchen to find the Ayi using my can of Crisco cooking oil (which I also bought at the export store) to wash my dishes. She was spray the inside of a bowl with it and wiping away.

She would have no idea of what it was because the label was in English. It also resembled some of the chemicals she used last time to clean with, except it was sitting with my other spices and not the cleaning supplies I had set out for her in the bathroom.

I take the can and use my version of sign language to indicate a pot on the stove. I imitate myself cooking and point to the vegetables on the bottle. She nods signifying her understanding.

An hour later (yes, it took that long to clean the place) I hear the aerosol Crisco can being sprayed again. I go in to the kitchen to see her wiping down the counters with it. Sure cooking oil gives a nice shine to the place, but I can't guarantee it's cleaning properties.

I take the can away for the second time and hold on to it while I call a coworker to translate. She bursts out laughing on the phone with him which means she understood, I hope.

Anyways, I would recommend watching your step in my kitchen as it is a bit slippery.

Speaking of my kitchen, here it is.


Oooh cabinets to store stuff in.... A+

Never mind the wine, look at my purified water!!! No more lugging gallons from the Wu-Mart!!

Yes, the washing machine is in the bathroom, but does your WC have tiles as provocative as these....
Ok, my shower is still by the toilet, but at least now I don't have to heat up my water. 24 hour hot water and a window to look out while dropping a deuce. What more could a girl want?


Bedroom. I already used the line, "This is where the magic happens." Let me tell ya- no magic in this place either.

Great big ceiling to floor window in my sun room. It's great for spying on the children who go to school right next door. Stay tuned for videos...

My built in bookshelves. Too bad all my books are sitting in a storage shed. Feel free to send me some to help the cause. Also notice my desk is actually a desk and no longer my kitchen table.


My entry way. I have my own shoe cabinet, granted it is right next to the refrigerator which does not fit in the kitchen. I view it as a positive none-the-less. I can come home and grab a cold beer before I even get my coat off. AAHH the life.












3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, the refrigerator needs to be in the bathroom. Cold, shower beers on demand.

Chad

January 8, 2009 at 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally thought you were going to say she was using your Pam as hairspray. This is a great story, I'm passing it on to Erin, my friend in Shanghai!

January 8, 2009 at 4:42 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Nice pad Gretchen! I love the tile!! hehe. It does look super clean! Wish I could pay someone $3 to clean my house!!

January 9, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home