Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's Here

It's here- surgery day.

Have to say, I am scared. Surgery in China was not on my to-do list while over here. A lot of 'what-ifs' keep running though my mind. But as my dearest Devon reminds me- don't waste your energy on things that aren't, deal with what you know and what you can.

One of the things I have to consider is bribery. You read that right- should I bribe my doctor or not?
A few days ago while talking to a good Chinese friend, I learned it is common practice here to slip your doctor a little red envelope full of cash before any procedure be it surgery, birth, etc. He says it ensures good service. Other colleagues confirm the practice, saying you should always bribe your doctor just to be on the safe side. Common amount is 500RMB or about 73 USD.
I am appalled. Does this mean those without money get sub-par healthcare? Will the doctor purposely make a mistake if you don't give them cash? Does this "custom" apply to foreigners? What if I try to bribe my doctor and end up offending her? What if I don't slip her money?
After thinking about this for awhile, I am going to take my chances, place my bets with the good in humanity and not go to the hospital with a little red envelope. I am not going to compromise my ethics on top of every other horrifying aspect of this experience.

It's not all bad. Andrea Liberatore's (Greene) Mom is here from the U.S.. Below is a pic of us playing dress-up as Chinese wives in a park near my apartment. Talk about a riot!



She came for a visit two weeks ago and has decided to extend her trip by a few days to be here with me for the surgery. It is an expensive decision for her, but she didn't hesitate in making it and instead believes the timing is too coincidental to pass up. She will be my surrogate Mom and take care of me at the hospital and at home. I am forever grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. I certainly know who her daughter takes after!



The hospital wants me to check in Wednesday afternoon. They will run some tests, then I will stay overnight (talk about a nightmare!). Surgery will be Thursday. If all goes well, I can home that same afternoon.

I won't have access to a phone of computer while there, so you will just have to check the blog for any major updates in a few days.
I love you all. I will talk to you soon-
Gretchen

3 Comments:

Anonymous Katie Rikli said...

I hope everything went well Gretchen! I am praying for a speedy recovery for you!!

May 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope all is well Gretchen.

I'm so glad Andrea's mom is there for you. What a lady.

May 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Katie Udell said...

Hi Gretchen - I didn't realize that you were still blogging - and just read this! I will be thinking of you - that's great that 'mama greene' will be there with you - what a woman!

May 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home