Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Temple Fairs

This post is a little late. I got distracted with work battles and sandstorms. Now, it's time to get back to reminders about why I love living here.

As I talked about in a previous post, China recently celebrated its biggest holiday- the Lunar New year or Spring Festival. Besides family gatherings, food and fireworks, there's something else this holiday has to offer. I took some time to go to 2 different types of Temple Fairs denoted by the countless red lanterns and crowds.

I love this panda picture. These are guys are selling crap- crap typically found at state fairs, similar to the stuff you win at games. You know what I'm talking about- the stuff that lasts about a week and then ends up in the trash. Amazingly, this crap, was incredibly popular with people at the temple fair.

They call it a temple fair because it literally takes place in a temple. This one has no religious overtones- resembles more of the fair than the temple. Historically, it draws craftsman, cooks and entertainers together for people to enjoy.

If I could mail these home to my nieces and nephews I would- if for no other reason than to annoy my sisters. When the wind blows through them the wheels turn and click on soda can tops. This is all handmade with bamboo and twine- super cool, super noisy.

These look like glass but are actually made out of melted sugar blown through a straw. He can do different animals like a rooster and mouse. I wouldn't recommend eating them unless garlic breath and sugar sound appetizing.

For entertainment, this man puts on a picture show inside the box. Its all to the beat of the drum and cymbals he plays while moving around the posters that I paid to discover were colored in with crayon and had super nationalistic sentiments.

Below, is another form of entertainment at this temple fair. This man has trained a mouse to run his homemade obstacle course. Have to say, it was mesmerizing. The girl with her mouth hanging open in the picture seems to agree.

Then of course you have to have Chinese acrobats. Here's everyone watching a man toss, balance and bounce a ceramic jug.

Love this picture of the baby and her Mom watching the performance. For some people, especially migrant workers, this is the only break they get from work for the entire year.

After all the shopping and things to see, one gets hungry. You are supposed to eat a steaming bowl of porridge. You can add different ingredients, although I have no idea what they are. Like most things Chinese, the porridge is supposed to bring good luck.

I just loved the dragon pot full of boiling water. Steam comes out its mouth. Wish I could find one of these to take back to the states, just not sure where it would fit in my kitchen.

This was probably the safest looking and smelling food at the fair. To get the full experience, I suggest you take a moment, click on the link and view this video I shot. Nothing says China quite like this:



The other temple fair I visited had a different crowd. They came in hopes of earning blessings for the new year. In fact, those are what's tied to the bottom of this ancient tree.

People also appealed for blessing from the founder of Taoism and Buddhist gods.

This temple was unique because each room you see here is dedicated to a different type of blessing.

This man is hoping for wisdom in the new year. You can tell because the statues in the room are all scholars holding books and debating with each other.

The best part about these rooms, is the plaques outside. The English translations are nothing short of hilarious. They call the rooms "departments". This one is for people who don't want to go morally astray.

No one could figure out what this is supposed to be about or why anyone would want to pray for insects to successfully give birth. HA HA! I have a lot of these plaque pictures, but I think you get the point.

This room was also, shall we say...interesting. You can pray for punishment for your enemies. Want their tongue cut out? What about splaying open their gut? This is the place to go to make all your dreams come true.


The most popular "department" was where people asked for wealth. You had to stand in line to even get in.


It's quite a process. To watch it, click here:




I have to say, most Chinese aren't religious at all. If anything, they are Buddhists, but I have only met a few who practice. Either way, I guess the temple fair is similar to how church pews back home are always full at Christmas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

it's really an interesting post. It's good to see you get back on track of enjoying your remaining days in the great nation. Gui

April 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home