Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Friday, April 3, 2009

Here's what else Bali has to offer...


I had never seen a rice paddie until we drove north of Ubud. These were terraces carved out of mountain slopes. Amazing what people can do.



As beautiful as they look, I would not want to work in them. As you can see, this man is up to his knees in mud. Can you imagine doing this with the hot sun, bent over all day? Not me, although if I ever get the chance, I would try a day in his shoes... uh, I mean bare feet.


To make sure they get enough rain for irrigation and a good crop, farmers make daily offerings to the Gods. Near every paddy is a mini-temple like this one below.



Offerings aren't just made by farmers. Balinese treat the many unseen inhabitants of Bali - gods, ancestors and demons - as honoured guests through the daily presentation of offerings (banten) of every imaginable shape, color and substance. These are first and foremost gifts - expressing gratitude to benevolent spirits, and placating mischievous demons to prevent them from disturbing the harmony of life.

Simple offerings are presented every day, while more elaborate ones are specially produced for specific rituals.


After the daily food is prepared, for example, tiny packets are presented to the resident gods of the household before the family eats. Palm leaf trays, like the one this woman is making, contain flowers, food and sometimes coins and cloth.

It's up to the women to make these offerings, which cannot be re-used. Since more and more women are now in the workplace, they have to buy their organic offerings from ready-made.

While walking around Bali, we had to be careful not to step on them as they are all over the sidewalks, roads and near statues.



We also had to watch out for giant bats. Yup- this buddy was 2 feet long. He was placed outside a shop to attracted visitors. Their ploy worked. You could even touch it (which I did) but he was a bit cranky and didn't like being woken up- understandably.

I am not sure what kept him from flying away, although I believe he was purposely injured. There was also a giant boa constrictor. I could have gotten my picture taken with it and done a dramatic reenactment of Britney Spears at the MTV movie awards, but after seeing the poor bat, I decided not to take part.


Besides loads of fresh fruit, the island also served up these sandwiches. It reminded me of camping with the Bethke's. For the life of me, I can't remember what we called these things- pudgy or budgies? Someone help me here.


I also insisted on having my own coconut to drink. Guys with hatchets were all over the place (not in a scary way) ready to serve my wishes.

As cool as drinking coconut water sounds and looks, I would advise against it. I bloated up like a threatened puffer fish. Seriously, I felt like Santa on a bad day. Not an allergic reaction just not good for the tummy.

Of course I would not be deterred in my mission to try local cuisine. We hit up Ibu Oka’s restaurant for Babi Guling- or suckling roast pig.

Sweaty people sit on the floor at long tables just to get a chance to try the rice which is piled high with tender slices of piggy, a piece of blood sausage, some other unidentifiable internal fried bits and pieces. It is all topped off with a piece of kulit (crispy skin).

I have to say it was not all it's built up to be. Apparently others don't agree with me. The owner says he goes through 4 pigs a day in just 4 hours. The cost? About $1.50 US per plate.

Along with everything else we visited, there was a quick stop to Tanalot to take in a sunset that never was. The site could have been beautiful but it was swarming with vendors and tourists. Yes, I know, I was one of those annoying tourists.

Even with all the other foreigners there, my friend Mike was stopped by a group of school children who wanted a picture with him. Some people think it is cool to have a shot with a foreigner. I get that here in China as well. Random people will walk up to me and ask to take a picture with me- odd.

Mike likes to think he looks like George Clooney, which is why he gets stopped a lot. HA

I hear Bali is a lot like Thailand now. It has a niche of sexually perverted names for restaurants, food and also some artfully crafted souvenirs. I don't know what the painter was thinking with this sign, but I thought it was hilarious and made all my male friends stand under it.

You don't often see a business with a boner sign out front.

Overall, I had a good time in Bali. Would I recommend it to others. No. I went for the legendary beaches and was heartbroken to see them full of trash.

Literally, there was an entire line of garbage where the ocean lipped the sand. People at our resort went out to pick it up twice a day, but even that wasn't enough. There were some beaches that seemed clean, but as soon as we went in the ocean, our feet were tickled with trash bags not seaweed.

The little island is making promises it can no longer deliver. Until it cleans up its act, I would stay away.
















Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

The delightful Bethke camping dish was pudgie pies!

Great update! You have some wonderful pictures.

April 5, 2009 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Chopstick Chatter said...

Yes! Pudgie pies- thanks Joey!!!

April 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel bad for the bat. Cool as hell. Looks like a fruit bat.

JLM

April 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home