Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Sunday, September 28, 2008

The pad

Since I've been spending so much time in my Beijing apartment, I figured it was time to give you a tour.

You've heard about the infamous squat pots, thankfully I don't have one in my place. However, my shower head is above my toilet. You can see the drain there on the floor. Keep your eye on that silver pipe, not only does it run from my toilet to my shower, it also goes to my kitchen sink.







Every morning I have to press a button on this water heater and wait half an hour for the tank to warm up.
I haven't run out of hot water, yet.
















This is my bedroom. According to MTV Cribs, I am supposed to say this is where the "magic" happens. Trust me, there is no magic happening here. I do have a nice view, however. (See the pic below)

My bed is about 2 feet off the ground. It came with a box spring but no mattress so I had to buy a 3 inch thick pad which is pretty common around here. Maybe my back will be all straightened out after a year!



Ahh, the courtyard. It is filled with people at all hours exercising, dancing, visiting. It's really why I chose this place. Plus, when it thunders the echo from the surrounding buildings is really cool. Just outside the gate is a women with a fruit stand.










When I am not recovering from bacterial infections, I try to cook my own meals. My kitchen doesn't have an oven, just two gas burners and a microwave. I am getting pretty good at burning things.

















The apt. didn't come with any cooking utensils or pots so I had to go out and get all that stuff. I would say the entire kitchen is about 7x5 feet. Pretty small. Do you notice that same little silver pipe? And yes, I do need to do dishes...













We have arrived at the living room. The couch folds in to a bed but trust me, it looks way cooler than it is. The damn thing lacks padding and is taped in a few places. Ahh home sweet home.










You are also looking at my dining room table/desk- ok mainly my desk. In fact, it's where I am sitting right now to write my blog. I rarely have the TV on. There is one English news channel but it is pretty lame and anchored by this old British guy.

I pay 3,000 yuan ($438 US) a month and had to put down 5 months were of rent before I even moved in. There were a lot of up-front costs in my move to China.

I didn't get a chance to touch on laundry. I have a little washing machine in my hallway with keys in Chinese. The water empties into a drain on the floor near my bathroom sink. No dryer. I have to hang my clothes up in my little pantry off the kitchen. Can you say fabric softener?! People- my underwear are starting to chafe. Ok, no more complaining- I am recovering from my illness and have a week off of work for the National Holiday. It doesn't even count as vacation time! I love it. Since when would you get a week off of work for no reason in the US? Things are looking up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Your PR Pal said...

Actually, it's much better than I expected. But you need a cool mosiac like you had in Columbus. And a beer pong table.

October 3, 2008 at 7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Miss you!

October 13, 2008 at 4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home