Chopstick Chatter

China: Through my eyes

Friday, September 19, 2008

Yummy


So far today, I have managed to do two things accidentally. I peed on my foot while using a squat pot and ate coagulated blood. The first accident is understandable if you know my lack of balance. The second, happened while I ventured out to eat in a local restaurant on my own.

It was recommended to me by coworkers and is so small, I would compare the entire place to the size of parent's kitchen. Most restaurants I eat at have menus with English translations or at least pictures to point to. This one just had a list of dishes printed in Chinese characters. After drawing many stares from fellow diners, I finally just pointed to something and crossed my fingers. What I got was a chicken dish- at least that is what I will tell myself. The chicken is prepared here with the bones in. Basically, imagine the bird just being chopped all to pieces with a hatchet then put in a stir fry. Some Chinese eat the bones, some do not.

I picked up my chicken chunks with my chopsticks (say that 3 times fast) and then nibbled around the bone. My dish also came with celery and some peppers. There were also several gelatinous meaty colored blobs. Feeling the high from venturing out on my own, I decided to taste one. Texture: like jello. Flavor: comparable to a fried piece of fat. That's what I thought it was til I asked one of my friends. He was a little too happy to tell me I mistakenly ate coagulated animal blood.

Now, of all the things in China that I had hoped to avoid eating, this topped my list. Yes, that's right. I would rather nibble on some dog than take a bite of blood.

There's so much more to tell you about my dining experiences over here. For instance, I ordered a draft beer this weekend only to be told later that is was made with formaldehyde. Apparently other foreigners discovered this after halucinations and nasty hang-overs.

Its not all bad. In fact, some of the flavors over here are amazing combinations I have never tasted in the States. More on the subject of food later...

Now, I need to address all the requests for pictures. Here's some, more will follow.



This is the enterance to my apartment building. From what I can guess, the maintenance workers all sleep on the first floor. I live on the 10th.



There are hundreds of bikes lined up outside every building in Beijing. It's how people get around because the majority can't afford cars. Be careful where you walk as cyclists here have no fear on crowded streets or sidewalks. I've also noticed most people don't even lock their bikes up.


This is the outside of my apartment building. I live in a compound consisting of four housing units surrounding a park. All of it is fenced in with 2 enterance areas posted with guards. Behind me is an old section of Beijing with traditional block homes. They have no running water or electricity. People use a public restroom down the street for showers and such. In front of my complex is a brand new high rise mall and WalMart. It amazes me how drastic the scenery changes in just a span of 3 blocks.



This is a man in the park outside my bedroom window (the one in my complex). He has taken off his shoes and is walking on stones cemented in the ground. I guess this is for therapeutic reasons. It is so neat to see everyone use the open space they have. Next to him is a bunch of exercise equipment which is used round the clock.


You have to walk where you walk in Beijing. On my way to work I noticed a pile of bird droppings next to a building. Looking up, I discovered these bird cages hung outside someone's window. They love birds here and you can often find their owners taking them for "walks" in the park to enjoy a change of scenery.




I mentioned bikes, but there are also hundreds of scooters. This is one guy who has his loaded down with shoe boxes. I have to say the people here are pretty inventive- they can load a scooter up with more stuff than I could imagine possible.





2 Comments:

Blogger Tim Broyer said...

Mmmm... fried blood. NOT.

Funny post. Glad to see you enjoying yourself.

September 20, 2008 at 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great! Happy to see you blogging-- between you and my friend in Shanghai I will be very well educated on life in China!

September 23, 2008 at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home